Safety is our highest priority. Our Processing Plant’s Food Safety Objective (FSO) is to ensure that Kenchic products are healthy, nutritious and safe by:
Food safety policy
- Ensuring traceability for all our products.
- Ensuring that the production environment and processes are up to local and international standards.
To achieve our objectives, we rigorously apply the following policies:
- Our aim is to process, sell and distribute safe, healthy, and nutritious poultry products to meet our consumers’ highest expectations. We achieve this by following the latest technological developments around the world.
- We follow internationally recognised standards, including the FSSC 22000, as well as Specific Kenyan Standards, to the satisfaction of the local regulatory authority.
- We ensure that our products and processes have undergone appropriate government inspection and approval by the Directorate of Veterinary Services, the Department of Public Health and the Kenya Bureau of Standards.
- We carry out regular audits to ensure that our farms and other suppliers meet our standards.
- We only use appropriate and approved raw materials to produce quality poultry products.
- In our production value chain, we ensure strict adherence to Kenchic’s Antimicrobial Usage and Animal Welfare Policies.
- We utilise processes and results from our in-house (ISO 17025 certified) laboratory to produce meat that is safe and wholesome for human consumption. This is achieved through monitoring of microbiological contamination and hygiene levels.
- Our produce complies with Farms Initiative’s Responsible Minimum Standards, and Kenchic’s Animal Welfare Policy.
- We maintain a pollution-free working environment by adhering to the Environmental Management and Coordination (Waste Management) Regulations, 2006 and relevant County regulations on waste disposal.
- We facilitate third party audits by our clients and Food safety organisations to ensure compliance to own and international standards.
- Our Laboratory is accredited with ISO 17025 and our Hatchery holds ISO 9001 certification.
- We ensure that our traceability system, anchored on Kenchic’s Farm to Fork policy, is robust enough to maintain product quality.
- We ensure that our staff satisfy relevant food safety requirements. They undergo a food handlers’ test and regular screening for pathogens of public health importance. We communicate this policy and develop the skills of our staff through continuous training.
- Any concerns about safety from our customers are addressed through root-cause analysis.